History of MIPAC
Mermaid Imperial Performing Arts Centre (MIPAC) is a facility owned and operated by Mermaid Theatre of Nova Scotia. Mermaid was founded in 1972 and moved its headquarters to Downtown Windsor in 1987, and acquired the former Imperial Theatre in 2003. The Theatre was built in 1914, along with a restaurant and upstairs dining room. In 1931, the Imperial Theatre was seriously damaged by fire. It was refurbished, using newly-developed large hollow clay bricks for walls, and dressed with decorative brick and fireproof fiber board. During the following decades, in addition to film, the Imperial Theatre offered plays, concerts and traveling musical shows. Since 2003, MIPAC has upgraded with a renovated lobby, enlarged stage, new backstage area with dressing rooms and tech storage, and numerous lighting and sound system installations. The auditorium seats 400 people; 300 on the main floor and 100 in the balcony. The balcony floor is raked at about 10% and is only used when the main floor seating sells out. The main floor is wheelchair accessible and the main floor includes two wheelchair positions. A small merchandising space is available in the lobby; we can provide tables and chairs, as well as a salesperson with prior arrangement. We do not offer catering or alcohol service, and generally prohibit food and drink in the theatre, except in the lobby or backstage.
Our rental rates are based on your needs. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on rental rates.
Technical Specs of MIPAC